Tuesday, August 8, 2017

What Is Popularity?

What Is Popularity?

            I’m really not so sure what constitutes popularity in our anytime, anywhere information society. There are literally hordes of people that cannot eat their food without posting it on social media. Does that make that dish popular? Does the food taste better? I tried it. The food tasted the same.
There are people that cannot go anywhere without posting a selfie. Don’t get me wrong.  I think selfies are funny a lot of times, and anything that makes me laugh at myself can’t be all bad. People even ask me to take selfies with them. That documents that we know each other. I’ve taken selfies of classes I teach.
            The infatuation with getting as many likes as your friends (or followers) has to be, at some point, counterproductive. So, never use that as a measuring tool for how you or anyone else should feel.  The next time you get a friend or a follower, reply to them with a thank you for the leadership or lead. Don’t wait for your phone to beep or buzz to reach out to those people that are really your friends or are truly giving you information to make you and your world better. Those people are the popular people. The popular people aren’t the ones that work less and talk about everyone that isn’t with them at the time.
            My dogs even have a social media account. I get a kick out of my dogs having more likes and friends than I have on Instagram. I didn’t even know they had Internet access. They are too funny. Social media has a lot of advantages. A lot of other technology does, too. I even saw an advertisement for a texting therapist for only $33 per month. I don’t think that’s an advantage.
There are multiple benefits and possibilities for social media. On Twitter alone, there are hundreds of chat forums for leadership and education. I will even promote my new book on social media, or just get my dogs to do it since they have more friends.
The popular people are the people that make you feel good about your failures as much as your successes. The popular people put a smile on your face when you walk into a room. The popular people get back to you with an answer to your question.  The popular people take the time to listen as well as talk.
            I have a great idea. Put yourself in the middle of people that make you a better person. You should actually talk to them (out loud). You will, in turn, make them better and increase your level of leadership. Don’t look for followers. Look for leaders.  You will make these people better just like they make you better. Then you can ask them to friend you on social media so you can collaborate and share the great things happening in your lives and the world. 

#BeEpic

Inspire-leadership.com


No comments:

Post a Comment