Friday, March 24, 2017

What Would You Do For a T-Shirt?

What Would You Do For a T-Shirt?
I do not believe so much that people go out of their way for a t-shirt as they go out of their way to be connected. People want to feel a part of something. People want to feel important. People want to be happy.

For me, countless times a “t-shirt” has been a common factor at a conference, in an organization, or walking down the street. You may get a hug, a handshake, or an acknowledgment of, “Hey, how you doin’?”

Numerous times as an educator, adults and students alike have met a goal or participated in an event to gain that coveted Renaissance “t-shirt.” The other day, I read an essay from a student that associated her entire middle school career with the different team and Renaissance t-shirts she collected during that period of time. Those t-shirts triggered many happy moments and brought her to many accomplishments and stories of creative risks and success. She mentioned stories of leadership, character, and inspiration.

Those stories brought me to a happy place as well. If a t-shirt can connect people to an organization for life, we need more t-shirts with logos and quotes. It’s called relationship building. I was so inspired by that story that I facilitated a team-building activity in my university class. I brought in and described my favorite t-shirts and the stories behind each. Well, not all of my favorite shirts because it was only a two-hour class.

Each student (except one) could immediately tell about their favorite t-shirts. Every story had a relationship connection. Each person was willing to share their reasons for belonging to an organization or group of friends.

Happy People Outperform Unhappy People!

Have an awesome week!





No comments:

Post a Comment