Wednesday, November 28, 2018

5 Things To Do Over The Holidays (updated version)

 5 Things To Do Over The Holidays (updated version)
This list is in no particular order, and it’s not too late to start. With all the hustle and bustle, I am impressed that you are even reading this blog post. My first goal is that you are inspired to follow through on these suggestions. My second goal is that my family and I are inspired to follow through on this list. Love, kindness, character, and leadership are not one-time events. Nothing on this list should be a one-time event, either. However, if you need a reason, I’m giving you one. Life is short even if you live to be 100. Even though there is always next year to succeed or fail, time is nonrenewable. Don’t let the ghosts of “I wish I would have” get in the way.

1)      Do Something with Your Family You Would Not Normally Do
When was the last time you all sat down to play a board game? When was the last time you all went to a movie in a theater? These are two things I aim to do with my family. We already went to a movie (Bohemian Rhapsody). So now, put down the phones and play a game! Who gets to pick? You all do!
2)      Start Another Tradition
Our family has traditions that span over the lives of our children. Some hit road bumps as everyone gets older. It’s important that our busy lives still encompass the love we share for our families. We get at least one new ornament a year. We decorate our tree while listening to holiday music. We sing out loud. We still put out reindeer food on Christmas eve. We still read ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas. I hope those never stop as we keep adding!
3)      Serve
Look around. We can always do more, and there will always be people with less opportunity than you. Let’s help them this holiday season. During the holidays, food banks get replenished but they are in dire need after that. Make a commitment to sacrifice one thing to give. It always helps. Giving your time always benefits especially to the elderly. I always understood that concept with the aging population but not as much until it affected me with my dad. When I visit his assisted living, people just want conversation and acknowledgment.
4)      Do Something Silly
Many Christmas Eves for us, that silliness has been karaoke. We always know the song my wife is going to pick (Thunder Road). I think this year it will be Bohemian Rhapsody. It’s a blast, and we step out of our comfort zones.  Sing loud and proud!
5)      Do Something Special For Yourself
Sleep late one day. Buy yourself a gift. Watch a television show. Do something you’ve wanted to do but the proverbial busyness of your life has prevented it.
I hope this is your best holiday season ever. I hope it’s mine, too!
Peace,

No comments:

Post a Comment