Tuesday, January 9, 2018


What Do You Bring To The Room?

            A few months back, I had an opportunity to speak at a conference on the left coast. Before the opening day, there was a dinner for all the speakers and special guests.  The food was good, the company was even better, and the stories were amazing.

            I sat at a table with a group of presenters and exemplary service oriented sales people that were laughing and reminiscing. Although I met each of them or saw them speak before, the conversations were never as thorough as we needed them. One member of our group had my ear with a series of questions that began a thought process and reflection that actually had me thinking for several months.

            This man is an esteemed thinker, trainer, and speaker. He was deeply interested in my presentation style and how I engaged the audiences when I spoke. He seemed intrigued by the fact that I performed magic and incorporated that component into my stories and presentations of leadership. I often use the terms “wow factor” and magical “ta-da” moments. So, the magic is a genuine and easy correlation.  

            I needed a ride back to the hotel, and the conversation continued during the ride and for a while in the parking lot. I was compelled to think, “What do I bring to the room? Why is my presentation different than anyone else’s? Why should any organization bring me in to speak, present, or facilitate?”

            I reflected for several months and reviewed the content of my speeches and presentations. When you reflect and ponder your own message, it creates a lot of self-communication and dialogue with other people. I figured it out. I bring “possibilities.” Not only for myself but for anyone in the room that can look in the mirror and not only see who they are but see who they can become.

            See the possibilities to “Dream so big that it freaks people out.” I want them to see the possibilities that can happen when they are told what they “can do” instead of what they “can’t do.” I want people to see the possibilities of a “no box classroom” and “no box professional development.” I want people to see the possibilities of breaking barriers and the possibilities of solving problems they have to go out and find.

            I want the people in the room to believe in themselves because other people believe in them, too. I want them to see the correlation of love and leadership. I want them to see the possibilities of leadership for everyone. Start a kindness campaign and a happiness trend. Enthusiasm and empathy are contagious but so are complacency and apathy. 

            What do I bring to the room? A compilation of stories, theory, research, and common sense that may open up minds to the endless possibilities that exist when a tipping point occurs. This mindset allows you to accept your role as a leader and push your limits that other people only talk about having. It permits you to keep dreaming and expecting no limits. You are at the beginning of becoming a “great difference maker,” a mover, and a shaker.

I bring to the room: possibilities. How about you?
Be Epic Not Ordinary

Where your Exceptional talents meet your Passion guided by your Intelligence and Character therein lies your EPIC

Visit inspire-leadership.com 

(Opening picture courtesy of PC Rocks @drphilcampbell) 



           

1 comment:

  1. There’s so much Wow factor here... awesome post!! And a sincere thanks for making me part of that collection of Epic possibility! I’ll have to think on this question.

    ReplyDelete